Why Opt for a Barndominium?
Barndominiums originally became popular in Texas, but more and more people who are familiar with the positive features of steel structures are now opting to build barndominiums in other areas of the country, too. Why should you consider a steel barndominium over a traditional stick-build? Here are a few reasons to consider:
- Steel is Stronger – Concerned about the effects of weather and storms on your new residence? Steel barndominiums are stronger than wood buildings, and they won’t rot or play host to mold or mildew. They also aren’t as susceptible to the effects of UV radiation, wind, rain, snow, or lightning.
- More Resistant – In addition to being weather-resistant, steel is also inflammable, so it’s more resistant to fire as well. Steel isn’t negatively impacted by termites, insects, rodents, or other pests, either.
- Less Maintenance – Metal is much easier to clean than wood, and since the colors are applied directly to the metal, you won’t have to worry about repainting either.
- Floor Plan Freedom – Steel buildings offer clear-span interior space that doesn’t require as much in the way of internal columns or supports. In other words, you can design your interior floor plan any way you want. You have much more design freedom with a barndominium than you do with a wood-framed structure.
- Easier to Remodel – Since the external steel framework is self-supporting, remodeling the interior is a simpler process than with a stick-build. It’s also easier to add on to an existing steel structure than it is to expand a wood-framed home.
- Lower Insurance Costs – Because of steel’s innate durability and resistance to the elements, metal barndominium buildings are typically cheaper to insure than comparable stick-framed residences.